Olympique de Marseille (OM) is a French football club founded in August 1899 in Marseille by René Dufaure de Montmirail.
The Marseille club played at the Huveaune stadium from 1904 to 1937, when the Stade Vélodrome was inaugurated. Previously, the Marseille club won its first Coupe de France in 1924 and became the first provincial club to win this title. OM are one of the clubs that played during the inaugural season 1932-1933 and still evolves in Ligue 1 today. After a first title of champion of France in 1929, in a competition now gone, the Marseille club won its first professional championship in 1937, before descending for the first time in the second division in 1959. A series of climbs and descents s made in the 1960s and the following decade was marked by the first double Cup-Championship in the history of the club in 1972. After a dark period in the early 1980s when the OM is close to bankruptcy, the arrival of Bernard Tapie introduces the most splendid period of the club, with four consecutive championship titles, a Coupe de France and the 1992-1993 Champions League, first in the history of European football under this name, which remains the first and the only C1 won by a French club. The VA-OM affair and its economic consequences plunge the club into second division. Following its rise in 1996, the club faces justice again with the affair of the accounts of the OM and can no longer win a major title, despite including two finals of the UEFA Cup (1999 and 2004 ). This white period ends with the title of champion of France in 2010 and three consecutive victories in the Coupe de la League in 2010, 2011 and 2012.
Jacques-Henri Eyraud since October 17, 2016, the majority shareholder being the American Frank McCourt, chairs the club. The first team, coached by Rudi Garcia since October 20, 2016, evolves during the 2018-1919 season in League 1 for the sixty-ninth time in its history, which is a record for a French club
His personal seal in the form of a monogram, an interlocking D and M, inspire René Dufaure de Montmirail, founder of the club, to create the club’s first blazon. The motto “Right to the goal” of the late Football Club Marseille57 is taken up by the club and is placed across the logo. It then evolves into an Art Deco version from 1935 to 1972, then a more kitsch version from 1972. In 1986, the motto reappears on the blazon.
A star symbolizing victory in the Champions League then overcomes the logo. On the occasion of the centenary in 1999 is introduced a new golden colour, which will also be the third Olympic jersey raised in the UEFA Cup. On February 17, 200457 is presented a new logo that is more modern, the letters are no longer interlaced but melted in the same pantone blue color58 and the currency is no longer inscribed on a cartridge barring the letters O and M but below and in golden letters. It should also be noted that Olympique de Marseille sometimes uses on its jersey games covers of its old logos (jerseys home 2009-2010 and 2014-2015, jersey 2012-2013 and jersey third 2017-2018).
A star symbolizing victory in the Champions League then overcomes the logo. On the occasion of the centenary in 1999 is introduced a new golden colour, which will also be the third Olympic jersey raised in the UEFA Cup. On February 17, 200457 is presented a new logo that is more modern, the letters are no longer interlaced but melted in the same pantone blue colour and the currency is no longer inscribed on a cartridge barring the letters O and M but below and in golden letters. It should also be noted that Olympique de Marseille sometimes uses on its jersey games covers of its old logos (jerseys home 2009-2010 and 2014-2015, jersey 2012-2013 and jersey third 2017-2018).
It was in 1969 that the first OEM of the OM appeared for the first time on jerseys worn by Marseille players. This is the French equipment manufacturer Le Coq sportif. He remained the club’s official equipment supplier until 1974, when the German Adidas signed with OM. The latter provided the club from 1974 until 2018, with however an interruption from 1994 to 1996, following the VA-OM affair. Reebok (from 1994 to 1995) then the Japanese Mizuno provide the equipment of the Marseillais during this period. As of 1 July 2018, the German brand Puma will be for a period of 5 years the new equipment manufacturer of the club for an annual amount of nearly 15 million euros per year, excluding bonuses results.
Regarding the jersey sponsor, no jersey sponsor was registered on the jersey of Olympique de Marseille players until 1971. From that year, OM became the first French club to display an advertisement on the jersey with the Nîmes Olympique. C’est But!, A sports newspaper belonging to Marcel Leclerc, then president of the club, who became the first shirt sponsor in 1971-1972. The following season, the club Provencal sports the sponsor jersey Le Toro. From 1973 until 1976, it was Michel Axel who was in charge of providing the Marseille club followed by Center Barneoud. From 1977 to 1980, Mas d’Auge appeared on the front of the Marseille tunic. In 1980-1981, Zoo de Marseille becomes the sponsor jersey for a season just like Faure and Euromarché. From 1983 to 1986 it is the radio RMC which is present on the jerseys of OM. Maison Bouygues will be for two seasons the jersey sponsor. Then, from 1988 to 1989 it is Alain Afflelou. Panasonic is present on the jerseys of Olympians during the glory period of OM between 1989 and 1992. From 1992 to 1995, the jerseys of OM are sponsored by Eurest. Thereafter, Speedy becomes a jersey sponsor during a season. With the advent of the new owner Robert Louis-Dreyfus in 1997, the company Ericsson became sponsor of the main shirt from 1997 to 2001 before giving way to Khalifa Airways, another company in the lap of the group Louis-Dreyfus. From 2003 to 2008, the Neuf telephony group is OM’s jersey sponsor. Between 2008 and 2010, Direct Energie sponsored OM as a jersey sponsor before being replaced by Betclic between 2010 and 2012. From 2012 to 2017, the Intersport brand is present as a jersey sponsor on Marseilles jerseys. On October 14, 2017, Orange becomes a club jersey sponsor for two seasons, until 2019.
In European contests, the displayed sponsor may have been different from the one in the league. The first to appear is Europe 1 in 1987-1988A 11 then followed: France Loto (1989-1990) At 11, Maison Bouygues (1992-1993) 65, the General Council of Bouches-du-Rhône (1994-1995) A 11, Indesit (2003-2004) or Internity (2006-2007). It should be noted that Panasonic and Maison Bouygues are visible during the 1990-1991 and 1992-1993 seasons but that the finals 199166 and 199367 play with blank jerseys.
The club, which practiced its activities on a Parc Borély ground as well as on a field of maneuvers adjoining the Parc Chanot, decided after its first title of USFSA Coastal Champion in 1904 to have a stadium worthy of the name and to acquire of the Huveaune stadium. This stadium is later named Fernand Bouisson, international and captain of the rugby section. This 15,000-spectator enclosure is also used during the Second World War, the Vélodrome being used by the military, then between 1965 and 1966 following the refusal of the town hall to tax the matches at the Stade Vélodrome and in 1982-1983 at the time the renovation of the Velodrome for Euro 1984.
Olympique de Marseille have been at home at the Stade Vélodrome since June 13, 1937 and an inaugural match against the Italians Torino Football Club in a friendly match that ends on the victory of the Phocaeans (2-1). The latter , property of the city of Marseille, is located at 3 boulevard Michelet in the 8th arrondissement of Marseille. Access to the Orange Velodrome can be done by public transport via Line 2 of the Marseille metro exit at the terminus Sainte-Marguerite Dromel ending on Raymond Teisseire street near the Ganay grandstand or leaving the station Prado roundabout overlooking Boulevard Michelet on the side of the Jean Bouin stand. By car, the stadium is accessible from the motorway network at the city centre exit of the A55 or at exit 36 .
Under the impetus of Bernard Tapie, the Van Halen Jump song accompanies the entry of the players on the field since August 1986. Moreover, the title Come with me of Puff Daddy and Jimmy Page resonates when the Marseille players register a goal.
The stadium is experiencing several facelifts on the occasion of the Euro 1984 and the 1998 World Cup. The latter thus becomes the second stadium in France in terms of available seats, behind the Stade de France, with a capacity of 60,013 spectators . Much criticized by the Marseillais for its architecture (lack of roof, no acoustic resonance), the stage Velodrome is the subject of several projects to cover or enlarge. On July 9, 2009, the city council adopted a project to reconfigure the Velodrome stadium and its surroundings, including the coverage of all the stands and a capacity of 67,394 places. A lot of work has been done at stadium level between 2011 and 2014 with a view to organizing Euro 2016 in France.
From the 2014-2015 season, the club plays in the renovated compound it inaugurates against Montpellier HSC by bowing (0-2). Since 2014, the stadium meets the criteria of the UEFA Category 4 stadiums124. On June 3, 2016, a partnership was signed between Arema and Orange. The Vélodrome stadium then takes the name of Orange Vélodrome applying a naming contract for a period of 10 years. On December 22, 2018, the OM formalizes the fact of becoming the sole manager and operator of the Orange Vélodrome following the signing of an operating contract with Arema. This allows the club to be the exclusive operator of the stadium 365 days a year in order to develop new revenues.
The Olympique de Marseille players, leaving behind the Luminy or Saint-Menet grounds scattered throughout the city, inaugurated the Commanderie training center in July 1991. This project came from a wish of former sports director Michel Hidalgo.
In 2002, this centre located in the 12th arrondissement of Marseille is developing and modernizing. In January 2005, all administrative services as well as the club’s OM Médias division were transferred to a new building of the Olympian complex.
On August 26, 2009, the centre is renamed “Robert Louis-Dreyfus Training Center”, in tribute to the former owner of the club who died in July 2009. On this occasion, the centre is experiencing a new extension with the inauguration of a building for the sports sector including rooms for greening in Marseille itself.
The players of the training centre train in this complex but were hosted at the Bastide des Accates in the 9th arrondissement. In January 2011, a brand new accommodation centre was inaugurated at the Robert Louis-Dreyfus training centre with 1,900 m2. It replaces the Bastide become obsolete.
The OM training center is located at the Robert-Louis-Dreyfus Training Center. The vice-president of the center is former Olympian Robert Nazarétian, Jean-Luc Cassini has been the director of the training center since August 2016. Sébastien Pérez is responsible for recruitment. The best members of the under-19 team coached by Olivier Januzzi join the Olympian reserve team today coached by David Le Frapper. Historically, Olympique de Marseille’s training center is not considered to be one of the best in France, but it has nevertheless allowed players such as Alain Boghossian, Mathieu Flamini, Mehdi Benatia and Samir Nasri to hatch. Romain Alessandrini, André Ayew, Jordan Ayew or even more recently Maxime Lopez. In 2017, OM has signed many partnerships with amateur clubs in the Marseille basin. Under the responsibility of Stéphane Richard, a partnership named OM Next Generation Champion has been signed with AS Gémenos, ASPTT Marseille, Burel FC, FC Martigues and Luynes Sports. Another partnership named OM Next Generation has been signed in particular with Aubagne FC, the SMUC or the US Endoume. These agreements include an allocation of around 5,000 euros per season for each of the affiliated clubs but also the training of educators financed by OM. In return, the partner clubs undertake to report to OM promising young players and to favour their arrival at the OM training centre, as the decision-making power belongs solely to the parents of the players concerned. On October 14, 2018, Olympique de Marseille inaugurates a new sports complex located in the heart of the city in the 9th arrondissement of Marseille named OM Campus in place of the former Paul Le Cesne stadium. With a total surface area of 37,000 m², the OM Campus is equipped with three synthetic fields of the last generation that can accommodate the training and official meetings of the youth teams, amateur and female OM. These new facilities have been fully funded by the Marseille club to the tune of 6 million euros
Olympique de Marseille fans have been a major part of the club’s life for nearly a century. They are the ones who finance the development of the Huveaune stadium at the beginning of the 1920s. Put in sleep during the years 1950 and 1960, the Marseilles supporters find again colours during the presidency Leclerc with the creation of the OM Supporters Association in the 1970s. Subsequently, the ultras phenomenon arrives from Italy and brings the Marseille fans into the modern era of supportism. This phenomenon gives birth to many groups in the 1980s including the Commando Ultra’84 which is the oldest ultra group in France. From 1987, the president Bernard Tapie gives the management of the subscriptions of the turns to these groups of supporters, which involves them totally in the life of the club. The associations, thus allowing the financing of tifos, animations or displacements, collect an increase on subscriptions between 30 and 50 euros per year. This unique system in France is no longer in place since the arrival of the new owners in 2017.
From the 1980s to the early 1990s, Marseilles fans are described as having a nationalist and racist ideology. As examples, opposing Black players are the subject of banana throwing as Basile Boli in 1987-1988 or Joseph-Antoine Bell in 1989-1990. Since the mid-1990s, Olympian fans have been associated with an anti-racist ideology and have been opposed by Parisian fans who share the common denominator of racist ideology. The following groups proclaim anti-racist ideology and multiculturalism: the Ultra’84 Commando, the MTP, the Yankee, the South Winners and the Fanatics. The leaders of OM endorse this vision since in the years 2000 and 2010, OM’s outfits were orange or green-yellow-red. The orange colour symbolizes anti-racism, it comes from the South Winners who put their Bomber upside down during a PSG-OM match in 1989-1990 to materialize their opposition to skinheads in Paris. The association of green, yellow and red colours represents the pan-African colors and in the case of the OM jersey, President Pape Diouf justifies their presence as a symbol of the multiculturalism of the city.